A Landscape gardener ran a business that had been in the family for two or three generations. The staff were happy, and customers loved to visit the store. They were extremely positive happy and people. Most people assumed it was because they ran a successful business. In fact, it was the other way around. They had a successful business because they were happy people.
A tradition in the business was that the owner always wore a big lapel badge, saying Business Is Great and the staff wore one saying, “we are happy”.
The Business Is Great badge always tended to start a conversation, which typically involved the owner talking about lots of positive aspects of business and work, for example:
- the pleasure of meeting and talking with different people every day
- the reward that comes from helping staff take on new challenges and experiences
- the fun and laughter in a relaxed and healthy work environment
- the fascination in the work itself, and in the other people’s work and businesses
- the great feeling when you finish a job and do it to the best of your capabilities
- the new things you learn every day – even without looking to do so
- and the thought that everyone in business and in a job, is blessed – because there are many millions of people who would swap their own situation to have the same opportunities of doing a productive meaningful job, in a civilized well-fed country, where we have no real worries.
It is impossible to quantify or measure attitude like this. “The badge came first. The great business followed.”
The gardener’s badge story is about positive thinking, great attitude and seeing the good side.
I’m very pleased to say there we have less complaints than ever from customers. We have quite a few new members of The Marble Group team and hopefully you can embrace the positive culture we have here. A great attitude, to me, is the biggest and most important asset of our organisation. It is the future of this business.
If you go back and read the seven bullet points above, you will notice that each of us enjoy the same opportunities as the gardener. I hope you enjoy wearing The Marble Group badge.